Friday, January 22, 2010

Our little Hunter

Hunter Dean Humpherys
01-14-10 @ 11:05 p.m.
8 lbs. 0 oz
20 in.


So its taken me a bit to announce him to the blog world. Hunter joined us after a 12.5 hr labor. Hayden was born by cesarean and I have chosen to have my other kids VBAC. There are certain risks and precautions that go along with that which includes not inducing labor. I was so hoping that he would decide to come early but I guess he had other plans. School started on Thursday so at my appointment on Tuesday I practically begged my doctor to do something to get me going. Seeing how they had already stripped my membranes at the two prior appointments, he decided to give it another valiant attempt- for those of you who have not experienced the joy of having your membranes stripped, keep it that way. Anyhow, I guess I whined enough because the Dr came back in to the room and said that if that didn't get me going, that he had scheduled me to come in on Thursday morning to break my water and use the slightest bit of pitocin if that didn't get me going.

I went straight to my school to talk to my instructors and let them know that I wouldn't be at class that week because I would be having a baby. I have to say that I am so glad that I chose EITC for school. My instructors rock. Not only did they help me fill out my medical leave form, they told me that if I needed longer to just take it and they would help me work it out.

The stripping of the membranes did a big, fat nothing to encourage the child to come. The next day (Wednesday) was a get ready for baby day. I went grocery shopping and bought about 2 months of groceries. I will only have to go to the store for milk and fruits/veggies. I spent a small fortune but that's OK.

Here we are at the hospital

On Thursday I got up, got the kids ready and to school and called the hospital to make sure that it was still a go. The nurse I spoke with said that they were busy and that they would call me when a room was ready. So we held off taking Hallie to Tena's house as planned. I sat down to look over my bags & make sure that I hadn't forgotten anything. The phone rang about 20 minutes later and it was the hospital saying to come in for my 9 o'clock appointment. It had snowed and was slick and we live 40 minutes from the hospital so we didn't get there until about 9:30 did the whole check-in at admissions and finally were up in our room around 10:00. My nurse did her thing, history, start IV, evaluate. I was only dilated to 3. The doctor came in and broke my water at 10:40 a.m. and they started my epidural within the next hour. And the waiting game began. As long as I was progressing on my own, they didn't want to start the pitocin. I progressed, but slowly- about 1 cm every 2 hours, but that's still progression. I didn't feel a thing. Now just because I didn't feel it doesn't mean my body didn't. Around 10:00 p.m. the exhaustion set in. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to push, so I slept. I woke up to some pain in my back which was not being relieved by the epidural pca so the nurse anesthesist (not sure if that's spelled right) came in to give me another dose. He aspirated some blood and it was decided that my epidural had slipped out a bit. He put me on my side and fixed it and that's when the pressure started. It was a good pressure though.

Right before I started to push.. don't I look tired?


Wham bam thank you mam, three pushes later Hunter was with us. The kids obviously won the name game but I like the name Hunter so that's OK. He has been such a good little baby. I'm up every 2-3 hours nursing him but that's just part of having a newborn. He hates his diaper changed and really unless he's hungry that's about the only time that he cries. The kids are in love with this child. Hallie is no longer daddy's girl, she is now Hunter's girl. She lives for the moments that we let her hold him.



Here he is.....



Sister loves him

I started back to school yesterday. It was so hard and there were a lot of tears shed on my part but Hunter did great with daddy and with the bottle that daddy introduced. I have been pumping so there was plenty of food for him. Again, the best instructors in the world, have totally accomodated me in a place to pump and storage for my milk. 15 more weeks and I'm done.


Well, this has been much longer of a post than I had planned. Back to the grind. I hope everyone is well and happy because I sure am.

7 comments:

Owner said...

Yaaay! I'm SO glad you posted, I've been stalking, waiting for this! He's so so adorable, oh gosh. I think I feel my ovaries twitching! ;) hahah! I hope I get to meet the new man at the reunion this year, will you guys be there?

Mary Lynn Evans said...

He's such a cutie!!! I can't wait to come see him. I'll call to see when you guys will be available!! I'm so glad you guys are doing well. Please let me know if you need anything!

Kirst said...

Congratulations. I have been waiting for the story. It is definitely a good one. I was also wondering which H name you had chosen. I like it. Well get some rest this weekend. It sounds like your semester is going to be crazy:)

David and Debby said...

hilary and shawn, congratulations!!! there is no better news than the birth of a healthy baby. i also have to add how proud i am of you to be improving yourself and your family by getting this nursing degree. you are awesome. love, debby

rebeccaV said...

He is so cute Hilary!! I acutally love the name Hunter. Congrats to you all on your little Angel:)

Lisa said...

You can do it! Keep up the great work at nursing school. It is so worth it! Also, congrats on your darling new baby boy! I'm so excited for you!

HGraham said...

Way to go Girl!! You are more than an inspiration. Your little guy is beautiful and so are you!

Followers